Sunday, December 8, 2013

Lessons from the Sea of Galilee

Galilee was my favorite place I have been this entire semester. My favorite part of the trip was having time to sit by the Sea of Galilee and ponder. Christ performed so many miracles here, but the greatest miracle of all is that He changed me. I wish words could express how I felt sitting by the sea. I could feel Him as if He was standing right in front of me. I bear my testimony that He lived 2,000 years ago and ministered to the people of Galilee. More importantly, He lives today! I wasn't just feeling the spirit of Christ that walked on that sea two milenia ago, I was feeling the risen, living Christ that invites each of us to walk with Him.

On several occasions, I woke up to wind storms. When night falls in Galilee, the temperature drops, which causes the air pressure to drop and the winds to pick up. Naturally when the wind picks up, so do the waves. Witnessing this put into context the experiences Christ's disciples had on the water.
 
Matthew describes the effects that one of these wind storms has on ships in the sea (Matthew 8: 23-27). As I looked out at the boisterous sea, I could imagine Christ calming the sea and how miraculous that must have been for His disciples. I was reminded of something I learned in my New Testament class 2 years ago. Something just as miraculous as Christ calming the sea. Sometimes the Lord calms the storms, but more often than not, He calms the sailor. I testify this principle is true! I have felt it and experienced it time and time again. 
 
I think each of us has experienced a time where we have prayed for the Lord to take away a trial, or in other words for the Lord to calm the seas of our lives. I have found in my life that when I pray for increased capacity to bear the trial, that the Lord calms me, the sailor, and enables me to learn and grow from this experience.
 
I testify with all my heart that the miracles of God are just as prevalent today as they were 2,000 years ago when He dwelt on the earth. I encourage you to look for the daily miracles He performs in your life. One of my favorite verses from the Sermon on the Mount is verse 8, "Blessed are the pure in heart: for they shall see God" (Matthew 5:8). I believe that this scripture doesn't just apply to seeing God at the end of our lives, but it applies to seeing God and His hand every day of our lives. I rejoice in His involvement in the details of my life and testify He is involved in yours.
 




No comments:

Post a Comment